3.17.2011


     I hope this finds you blessed! As I'm writing it, I know that I am certainly blessed beyond measure! I am in the midst of my 4th semester at Oklahoma Christian University. I'm majoring in Psychology with a minor in Missions. I am really enjoying college. In the fall semester God opened a door for me to apply for an overseas summer internship with a missionary team. My application was accepted and I now have the opportunity to experience first-hand the life of a missionary with a wonderful team in Niterói Brazil. I am incredibly excited about this opportunity because I think God is leading me to be involved somehow with missions after college, and this will be an invaluable opportunity to get a good look at the everyday life of a missionary.
     The program is 6 weeks long, starting June 22nd and lasting through the beginning of August. I will be traveling and interning alongside a student from Abilene Christian University named Kyle. The agenda includes many things that will help me gain experience working with people of different cultures as well as working with missionaries to bring the love of Christ and His Good News to people across language and cultural barriers. I will be learning Portuguese, the language most commonly spoken in Brazil. For 3 of the 6 weeks I will get the opportunity to live with a Brazilian family, learning the culture first hand from them and building relationships with them and other people in the community. In addition I will have the opportunity to work on projects to assist in keeping things running smoothly at the Niterói church. I will be working with children’s ministry material, helping to keep the team’s website up to date, working on things such as pamphlets, and more. Another exciting opportunity is an activity I will get to participate in with Brazilian nationals from the community. They are meetings called “conversation classes” in which we talk one-on-one with a Brazilian person in English to help them build vocabulary and speaking skills. With the opportunity to do this I get to build relationships with the people, opening up the chance to talk not only about their families, friends, and culture, but about God and the Bible. I look forward to working with the church at Niterói and the missionary team. I am also excited about really getting to experience all of the wonderful work they’re doing to reach out and build meaningful relationships with the people God has put all around them.
            Your encouragement and support is vital in helping me serve God and people through this missionary internship. First I would ask that you pray for me, that God will provide monetary support so that I can get there. Also pray that God will help me learn all I can while I’m there and that He will use me to serve the Brazilians and the missionary team in whatever capacity He wants. Secondly I ask that if at all possible, you please support me financially. It’s not just helping me do this 6-week program. I believe that you will be making an important investment by sending me to serve alongside the missionaries in Brazil. The trip costs $3,700. I am currently $1,375 short of my goal. I am confident that the trip will be well worth it! If you cannot give financially, I understand, but any amount will help. I know that God will provide for me to get to Niterói.  If you can contribute, please send your contribution to

Global Outreach
Box 12280
Searcy, AR 72149-2280

In the bottom right of the envelope please write “Responding to Malinda Powell”. If you have any questions, I would love to talk with you about this wonderful opportunity. You can email me at malinda.powell@student.oc.edu. If you would like to call me, just shoot me an email asking for my number. You can also visit www.niteroimission.com to learn about the team I hope to work with. Thank you so much in advance for your encouragement and support. It means the world to me! God bless you.
Love,
 Mindi Powell

P.S. I will also be selling prints of some of my best photographs for anyone who wants something tangible in return for their donation! Head on over to  my Etsy shop to help me out!

Posted by penned by Mindi at 10:57 AM
Categories:

 

0 loves:

 
>