1.27.2011



*I apologize for not keeping up with my project 365... I will get back to it soon*

This is super long, but stay with me here.

The Greek "parakaleo" (or the Hebrew "nacham") can mean to "come alongside" one, as in their grief. It means to "be moved to pity, to comfort" and to "have compassion on". (Check it here: http://www.wenstrom.org/index.php?option=com_libwritten&view=libwritten&selCat=3&Itemid=125&task=display&view=summary&entryId=430 )

God has shown me over and over how important this practice is lately. Not only is it nice and comforting for people, I believe it is a reflection of God's very character. He doesn't leave people alone in their grief. He is "close" to them, "heals" them, "revives" them, and "is with" them, as seen below.

  "The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." -Psalm 34:18
  "He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds." Psalm 147:3
  "For this is what the high and lofty One says--he who lives forever, whose name is holy: "I live in a high and holy place, but also with him who is contrite and lowly in spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and to revive the heart of the contrite." -Isaiah 57:15

The Scriptures above were of God to His people. In the book of Romans, and many other places, He calls us to do the same for the people around us. "Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn." (12:15) I believe this reveals His character to the world around us and glorifies Him if we do it humbly. In other places in the Bible God shows us time and again how others care for one another deeply and profoundly: 

  Job 2:11 "When Job's three friends, Eliphaz the Temanite, Bildad the Shuhite and Zophar the Naamathite, heard about all the troubles that had come upon him, they set out from their homes and met together by agreement to go and sympathize with him and comfort him."

  Job 30:25 "Have I not wept for those in trouble? Has not my soul grieved for the poor?"


  Hebrews 13:3 "Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering."

Hurting people have always been really close to my heart. That sounds broad and strange, but what I mean is that my heart strings are pulled painfully any time I see someone grieving or hurting for any reason. For me it's always gone far past just feeling sympathy. It's a matter of nacham (Hebrew) or parakaleo (Greek), both words used in the Bible to talk about a compassion so profound and deep that you want to take the grief and hurt onto your own shoulders and relieve the one hurting. In what I understand from Jewish tradition it's sitting shiva (or the weeklong period of mourning) with a person, whether that means mentally and spiritually or physically standing in front of them, taking them by the shoulders, and hugging them while they cry. It's about taking the time and go out of your way to talk through things with hurting people, struggling with them through their pain, praying with them, and coming out stronger and closer to God together. It includes humbling yourself with another and recognizing God as supreme and in control, and also making real and practical your trust in Him to work things for your good, as it says in Romans 8:28. It makes sense that when you feel deep and profound compassion for someone, as a Christian you are going to want to show them the love and hope of God and Jesus Christ, because you know that is the only way they're going to be able to be truly free from whatever is grieving them. You're going to pray with them, cry with them, hold them, and share your time, love, some chocolate, and even your very heart and soul with them. That is the kind of parakaleo I'm talking about. "A friend is always loyal, and a brother is born to help in time of need." -Proverbs 17:17 It is the desire of my heart that God would use me to be that friend, the one that sticks as close as a sibling. 

I've always felt propelled in the direction of hurting people. I don't have the answers to their problems or anything extraordinary; often I don't have any answers at all, because each person is unique in their hurts and struggles, but I do have ears to hear, arms to hold, eyes to cry, a big ol' heart to love, and a spirit to pray and encourage. I have myself, and I'll give it every time for another. And hopefully God uses me through those situations exactly as is His will to the good of both the hurting person and myself; that's my prayer everyday, at least. I pray God would work in the lives me and everyone around me to make us look more like His son every day, through the good and bad. "Greater love has no one than this; that he would lay down his life for his friend."- John 15:13. 

So go out and help someone today. Rake a lawn, help someone across the street, feed a homeless person; take care of someone's physical needs. Pray with someone who's having a bad day, write a note of encouragement or three and put random campus mailbox numbers on them (if you're a college student), smile at a stranger who's frowning as they walk by you, hold the door open for someone, bless them. Pour out the joy you've been given. "You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely Your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life..." (Psalm 23). David was right! His goodness and love does follow us. Our cups overflow with it. The natural response is to spread it. Practice compassion. It'll grow on you, and before you know it you will be caring deeply about people and practicing parakaleo; self giving compassion stemming from love and knowing the ultimate answer is Christ.

 "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." -Psalm 73:26

Posted by penned by Mindi at 8:07 PM
Categories:

 

0 loves:

 
>